Our vast world is becoming smaller and flatter with every tweet, post, text and Skype. The ability to communicate instantaneously to anyone, at any time, from any place has irrevocably changed our way of life. As a result, our accessibility to the world through innovations in communication and technology is creating a brave new world that requires new tools and skills for tomorrow’s leaders.
As such, the International Baccalaureate programme promotes international mindedness, not as an alternative to a sense of cultural and national identity, but as an essential component of life in the 21st century. Today, our students live in a global society. Tomorrow, our graduates will work in a global marketplace. Successful interaction will require our students to be prepared to clearly communicate, solve problems in a global context and collaborate with individuals from around the world. As internationally minded educators, Westlake Academy creates authentic global collaboration experiences that prepare our students to meet the demands of the 21st century marketplace while encouraging them to think globally and act locally. To promote authentic global collaboration experiences, our students and teachers have access to:
- MEXICO: Our students engage in a Summer Spanish Immersion Program in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. Our Facebook album is full of great memories. Please look through our photo journal here.
- ARGENTINA : Our students and teachers are given an opportunity to participate in a teacher & students exchange program with an IB school in Argentina: Northlands. Please look through our photo journal here.
- COSTA RICA : Our students are given an opportunity to participate in a students exchange program with a IB school in Costa Rica: La Paz School. Please look through our photo journal here.
- ARGENTINA, BELGIUM, CANADA, CHINA, GERMANY, OMAN, SOUTH AFRICA, : Our students are given an opportunity to participate in the International Student Leadership Symposium with a coalition of 9 schools from these countries.
- GLOBAL CITIZENSHIP & SERVICE: Our students are given travel opportunities with Student Shoulder to Shoulder Organization
- LEADERSHIP: Our teachers participate in the Westlake Academy International Mindedness Educator Symposium with educators from Argentina, Costa Rica, Kenya, Mexico and Peru.
- CLASS TRIPS: Our students are given experiential travel opportunities beginning in third grade
- TECHNOLOGY / DIGITAL CONNECTIONS: Global collaboration with teachers and students from other countries via contemporary technological interaction
Future exchange opportunities:
It is in these real world experiences, and others like it, that our students share international perspectives with their counterparts from other countries and, in doing so, deepen their understanding of what it truly means to live, work and succeed in a global society.