Technology at Westlake Academy
In this age of technology, Westlake Academy is committed to ensuring that all students develop information literacy from an early age. Westlake Academy’s technology devices are available to all students, and they play a key role in digital teaching and learning. Today, our accessibility to the world through innovations in communication and technology is creating an increasingly smaller, flatter planet. Through these innovations, we are able to provide students and teachers with the ability to virtually transport to any place on the globe, making the world truly our world.
In doing so, we operate on the following beliefs:
- We believe that 21st century learning demands 21st century tools.
- We believe that technology promotes anytime anywhere life-long learning.
- We believe that technology transforms the learning experience for the teacher and the learner.
- We believe that the guided utilization of technology transforms learners from consumers to producers.
- We believe that technology allows educators to differentiate learning to meet the diverse needs of learners.
- We believe that the integration of technology is critical to preparing students for post-secondary success.
- We believe that technology transforms learning from surface to deeper learning and from local to global interconnectedness that allows students to transfer learning that extends beyond the classroom walls.
- We believe that a well-balanced approach to technology allows students to work creatively, collaboratively and efficiently to increase their productivity.
- We believe that technology is a vehicle to access digital content and to utilize it to promote critical thinking.
- We believe that technology transforms the impact of feedback which is crucial to the learning process.
The 4Cs of 21st century skills (collaboration, communication, creativity and critical thinking) serve as the cornerstone for the learning at Westlake Academy. By combining traditional teaching with digital learning experiences, we can prepare our students for the technology-infused world in which we live.
Our teachers aim to expose them to a variety of digital platforms including:
|ManageBac||Google suite||Google Classroom|
Virtual & Augmented Reality
|3D Printing||3D Design (CAD)||BrainPop|
Westlake Academy believes technology, when used in a responsible, efficient, and principled manner offers valuable, diverse, and unique resources to enhance our learning and teaching. Westlake Academy is committed to helping students and staff integrate technology as an effective educational tool and to meet state, national and international educational standards. It is understood that students and staff will use technology in a principled and professional manner in accordance with Westlake Academy’s Acceptable Use Policy.
Our school uses Securly in an effort to help keep students safe on their school-issued iPads. As part of the implementation, we are giving all WA families access to the free SecurlyHOME app. If you have not yet downloaded this App, please click on these instructions. Signing up is the first step in becoming more connected with the specifics of how your student is spending their time online.